Monday 7 March 2016

Here come the rains

Today I flew the shuttle to Loki, via Kimatong and Kapoeta on the way out and via Kapoeta on the way back. During the time on the ground in Loki we had a short rain shower and then again in Kapoeta on the way back to Juba there was short but heavy shower.

In Kapoeta it started to rain as I opened the door after landing, and by the time I had begun removing the passengers' bags from the pod under the aircraft the rain had become quite heavy. Initially I thought we'd just get the unloading done quickly and then shelter from the rain, but I got wet so quickly that after a few moments it hardly seemed worth seeking shelter as I was so wet already.

I'm not sure I would have been much wetter if I'd had a couple of buckets of water emptied over me and what made it seem even worse was that it stopped raining almost as soon as we had unloaded the baggage! Mental note to self, next time sit in the plane and wait for the shower to pass rather than trying to beat it...