Friday 8 July 2016

Weather

Yesterday the weather was bad. At least that was the way the guy in the tower described it when asked on the radio by some pilots trying to come in for landing! It was a grey rainy day, which is quite unusual for Juba, and it certainly made for some challenging flying conditions.

I was booked to fly the Western Equatorial Shuttle to Kajo, Yei, Juba, Maridi, Ibba and Yambio. Due to the bad weather my departure was significantly delayed in the morning and the knock on effect of that was that Ibba and Yambio had to be cancelled later in the day. On my return to Juba after the first rotation the weather was particularly nasty and I flew the instrument approach down to minimums in cloud and heavy rain which is not something we have to do often here in Juba.

I carried 23 passengers representing ECS, AMREF, AIC, Tearfund, Carter Centre and International Medical Corps.