Sunday 14 February 2016

I.R. Renewal

It was a cool and rainy morning in Nairobi last Thursday and I found myself getting rather wet doing a pre-flight inspection on a Caravan outside the MAF hangar. Cool weather and rain are both a bit of a novelty when you're living in Juba in the dry season, but I could have done without the rain on this occasion.

To fly the Caravan in MAF we need to hold an Instrument Rating, and in order to keep this rating current we need to do a Check Ride (a bit like a driving test) once a year with a Civil Aviation Authority authorised Examiner. Since I needed to renew both my Medical Certificate and my Instrument Rating I had travelled down to Nairobi for a two night stop over to get these done.

The rainy weather did delay our departure by about an hour, but thankfully we were able to complete the flight and I'm signed off for another year. The doctor also deemed me to be healthy enough to fly a plane, so all in all a successful trip. I guess that means you can expect a few more blogs from me...