Thursday 1 October 2015

Thunderstorms and diversions

Its dry in Juba this afternoon but it certainly wasn't dry around Jiech a few hours ago. I flew 950 kg of freight (mostly beans and tarpaulins) to Jiech for CMD (Christian Mission for Development) this morning. The report we received was that the airstrip was dry and landable but there was a 2m puddle at the northern end to watch out for... Well, I would have put it a little differently, but the strip was landable and I was able to deliver the freight, getting the aircraft rather muddy in the process.

From Jiech I was supposed to route to Pagil and I reduced the payload for the next leg due to the muddy conditions. We rushed to to get away before a large thunderstorm moved in and then headed to Pagil. Flying through some heavy rain helped to clean the mud off the windscreen but it was also raining in Pagil and we were not able to land so I diverted back to Juba. It was quite a bumpy ride through the rain for the first 20 minutes or so and I think the 2 pax were quite relieved to see some clear skies eventually.